If you have paid attention over the last week, there has been a ton of talk about former Louisville Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson and whether he is a good quarterback prospect (including here at White Wolf). The debate will rage on for the weeks leading up to the draft, but there have already been some really stupid takes on Twitter, so we’re going through the worst of the worst so far. Bill Polian did not tweet his opinion on Jackson being too short at 6’3”, but that would be on here if he did.
10. Michael Vick himself said Jackson is way better than he was.
I think Michael Vick @AtlantaFalcons @HokiesFB was a far better prospect than Lamar Jackson @UofLFootball. He was more accurate as a passer & a better decision maker. Proof from NFL is Vick was always thought of as a potential 1st pick in Draft, Jackson has not been @nflnetwork
— Charley Casserly (@CharleyCasserly) February 23, 2018
9. What do Josh Allen’s statistics have to do with concerns about Lamar Jackson?
Josh Allen ranked 82nd in yards/att, 73rd in passer rating, was a non-factor against anything resembling a good defense and I'm supposed to have serious concerns about Lamar Jackson?
— Tyler Duffy (@tyduffy) February 22, 2018
8. It is not always about race; don’t just ignore the same historical discussions on Tim Tebow, Matt Jones, and white quarterbacks that have had questions simply because they are athletic.
This is code. It was code when the Broncos insisted that Marlin Briscoe become a receiver after setting a team rookie record for TD passes. Code when teams told Warren Moon that he should become a DB. Kordell Stewart. Tyrod Taylor. On and on. It's offensive, and it's stupid.
— Doug Farrar (@BR_DougFarrar) February 22, 2018
7. Not everyone has to think the way you do.
There’s no way that any scout can say with a straight face that Josh Allen is a better QB than Lamar Jackson….#NFL
— Brian Witherspoon (@Spoony29) February 23, 2018
6. Ryan Clark of ESPN makes it a race thing.
So Lamar Jackson who won the Heisman & was CFB’s most dynamic player as a QB can’t play QB? Oh & THEY showed us that Johnny had 1st round QB skills! Also made sure we knew that Baker just lets his leadership & competitiveness get the best of him sometimes!! WE hear you.. again
— Ryan Clark (@Realrclark25) February 20, 2018
5. Yeah, buddy, it’s institutional racism.
— Seth Galina (@SethGalina) February 20, 2018
4. Of course.
People who say that Lamar Jackson is a WR are republicans.
— Jayson Buford (@jaysonbuford) February 20, 2018
3. ESPN has a show that is all about debating—you don’t know how to disagree with someone?
i need to call someone at work to figure out how to handle these lamar jackson takes when it’s ppl who work at espn. cuz wtf, man.
— El Flaco (@bomani_jones) February 21, 2018
2. Sounds like someone jumped the gun and criticized Jackson without really watching him play.
I'm about halfway through Jackson's 2017 season on All22 and his development as a POCKET PASSER is great. Like, I wish my dumb ass had access to this in November. I was wrong.
— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) February 13, 2018
1. The easy winner: Josh Allen being in the draft has nothing to do with Lamar Jackson’s ability.
The idea that Lamar Jackson can’t play QB in the NFL is just so incredibly laughable.
Especially when one of the other options in the draft is Josh Allen.
— Barrett Sallee (@BarrettSallee) February 19, 2018
People seem to be failing to understand that liking Lamar Jackson and liking Josh Allen are not mutually exclusive.